Social Media Platforms

TWITTER:- @simplyMhoses FACEBOOK:- Mc Mhoses Instagram:- @SimplyMhoses

Monday 22 February 2016

The YNaija Interview: Many people who were in the industry before me, are still playing catch up – Reekado Banks

The 1st of January 2016 would forever go down as one of the most talked-about moments in the history of Nigerian music as Don Jazzy and Olamide went head-to-head after Mavin starlet Reekado Banks claimed the Next Rated award at the Headies 2015.
Many felt the 22-year-old did not deserve to win, with the argument being that his contenders- Lil Kesh, Korede Bello, and Kiss Daniel- were more impressive in 2015, than he was.
Having stayed mute on the apparent challenge on his talent and music for so long, YNaija entertainment correspondent, Oreoluwa Peters, recently had a sit-down with Reekado Banks, in his Oniru home to talk about his rise to stardom, the challenges he has faced thus far and his thoughts on the controversial Headies moment.

From Spicy to Reekado banks, Why the change of stage name?
First of all, at the moment (of name change) I felt like it was a turning point as there was supposed to be a change. I decided to rebrand, so I changed the name. Secondly I noticed that there were so many people bearing the name spicy. Those are the few reasons why I had to change the name.
How did the Mavin record deal come to be?
It was like a blessing or better still a miracle because at the time I didn’t expect anything like that to come my way. Don Jazzy put out something on the internet that people should send in their demo and promo CDs. To cut the long story short, my brother which is my manager right now sent mine. Out of 5,000 entries, I was the only one picked.

How was it to find out that your brother had submitted your song for the Mavin talent hunt?
I actually didn’t have any idea he sent the song. I felt really good. I felt really blessed to have somebody like him around me.
Who influenced your sound?
The first song I ever owned came when I was like 8 years old. I didn’t know how that song came. All I knew was that I was humming it on my way to school from. I then sang it to my dad when I got home. I think it was a gospel song. But it was around 2006 that I wrote my first song. Talking early influences, I listened to a so many people. I listened to Ebenezer Obey. I listened to so many gospel songs because my dad is a pastor. However by 2008, my biggest influence was the Mo’hits crew.
How did your collaboration with US Rapper Wale, come to be?

Meeting Wale was like one of those things God actually planned. I wasn’t really the one that made first made the move like’ Wale I want to work with you.’ It was the other way round. He came to Nigeria in December 2013. He came to the Mavin studios. I was already a Mavin but I wasn’t yet unveiled.
Don Jazzy played quite a couple of songs for him and he heard my songs. He was then stuck on Chop Am and wanted to be on the remix of the song even though Chop Am had not dropped at that time. So he jumped on the song.
When it was time for his own song to drop , he contacted Don Jazzy that he wanted me to be on the hook and I have actually not met him before until when he came recently. That’s how that happened.

What’s your typical day like?

Wake up, pray, check my phone and do interviews like this If they are any. Then strategise with my manager, and then I’m off to shows at night. I might go to the studio later.
What advice would you give to someone wanting to pursue this career?
Basically, I have three things I always tell people to do. These are things that worked for me. It is- work like you don’t pray, pray like you don’t work and always get advice from people because they are the ones that see you, you don’t see yourself.
If you had to do it all over again, would you still choose this career? Would you do anything differently?
Right now I’m enjoying myself. I think I’ll make more money playing football. However, I’ll choose this career all over again because I’m in love with it.
IMG_4357-Edit

How did the idea for Reekaddicts come to be?

It was my manager’s idea. He came up with the name to call them. I don’t know how he thought about it but when he told me I just felt it was really cool so I decided to adopt it.

What’s your process like, when working on a new piece of music?

It comes in different ways. Sometimes I get the inspiration for the song first then I go to the studio relate with the producer and he’ll work on something. Sometimes he has a beat already. Then I get an idea and jump on the beat. However, most of the times it comes either ways. Then when it comes to writing the song, I write about what people can easily relate with. I wouldn’t write about something abstract. I use the simplest lyrics, the easiest ways you can get it with the most relatable words.

Where is the weirdest place you’ve ever had an idea, that eureka moment for a song?

I have it everywhere. Once I was at the cinema and I had an inspiration. I could record it on my phone and stay till later but I just wanted to leave already so I went to the studio immediately. The inspiration for new song Oluwa Lo Ni was in the bathroom. I was just there and it came to me. I just rushed my bath and I decided to go to the studio. It always happens even when I’m driving.
How did the Glo deal come to be?
It wasn’t really like they called and said ‘oh we are going to endorse you today’. My manager at the time called me and said oh there is a meeting next Monday with a telecommunications company for an endorsement and I was like ‘it shows we have been doing something good. So it makes so much sense to me that the corporate world was getting to relate with me’.
I didn’t really see myself as that important but then the corporate world was coming to work with me that means that they believed I had something to offer. So that changed my perception about myself. It made me gain more self-esteem, courage and confidence and ever since then, it has been a good ride.

How did the idea for Katapot come to life?

Don Jazzy had the beat and I got to the studio and like I usually do I ask for freestyles and when he dropped the beat I was like can I freestyle boss and he was like sure. Then I free-styled the whole first verse and people were in the studio that day and nobody objected to what I sang that day. That was when I knew it was a wonderful song because everybody related to it. A month later I came up with the hook, added the second verse and we dropped the song.

The music video for Katapot won an award at the Headies this year. Who came up with the concept for the video?

The idea for Katapot video was originally brought by Don Jazzy. The whole walking through the market square, people throwing stuff at me and everything was a Don Jazzy idea implemented by Unlimited L.A.


Any challenges in the industry so far?

I wouldn’t say they are challenges because they appear they disappear. I have a strong team. I’m really grateful that to be under a record label like Mavin, that has everything planned out. Asides that, the management team is on 100. So before the things appear, they make it disappear. So it’s like I’m on a smooth ride. Everybody is already doing what I’m meant to be worried about.

If you were to add something and take away something from the industry, what would they be?

I won’t want to take away anything right now because everything seems to be good right now. I would only wish that the songs people download, was paid for.
In a recent interview, you revealed that you once hawked blenders in the traffic
I wasn’t doing it because I wanted to make ends meet. I am not from the poorest home neither am I from the richest home. I am just that type of that child that doesn’t like to depend on anybody. I actually do not want to depend on anybody. I decided to do that because I wanted to get money for myself. I just felt it was right to own my money. So it wasn’t like I was suffering or my parents didn’t have money to take care of me. I just decided to do it because I wanted personal money and that was the only way I could think of getting personal money. So I did it.
ric
At last year’s Mavin concert, you burst into tears as the crowd chanted your name. What was going on in your head at the point?
It was just a reflection of where I’m coming from and where I see myself going. I have not even been two years yet as a Mavin. I’ll be 2 years in a few days because I was unveiled February 21 2014. Things have happened so fast.
It’s scary. The fame, the popularity, the recognition to mention a few, everything has been so overwhelming. You’ll see quite a lot of people that have been here longer than that and are still trying to catch up. So yes, it felt pretty good to have that crowd of people singing to my songs even the ones I thought they didn’t know. It was just very overwhelming and I was in the moment.
Having achieved some semblance of popularity, how have you been able to stay grounded?
First, when you have a leader and boss like Don Jazzy, you will understand that there really isn’t anything to be proud about. Here is a man who has had everything I probably have wished for and he still stays that down to earth.
Asides that, my manager is my older brother which makes me steadily grounded. I’m not far from my family. My dad and mum come around. Everybody comes around. This is very instrumental as they make it obvious that you are still the last born, so don’t go and be forming Reekado Banks here. So there is no way I can possibly lose my senses and start behaving anyhow because I have these people around me steadily learning from them.
You made history by wining the Rookie of the year in 2014 and claiming the next rated act award in 2015. How was that feeling?
I felt really good breaking records. It really felt good to have both awards. Hopefully we get something this year.
I’m really grateful to everyone that voted everybody that believes in me and everyone that has supported me thus far through votes and every other thing. So the awards are not only for me, they are everyone.

What is your own point of view of the infamous Headies Incidence?
Was that an incidence? It wasn’t an incidence. It was an amazing experience for me because I trended worldwide. I got 50,000 views on Sugarbaby video within that time. My followers increased. Four days from that, I got verified, becoming the 8th Nigerian to be verified on Instagram. So yes, I was happy about everything that was going on… wishing that kind of stuff comes up very often so that my numbers will keep going crazy. However, it was a good one, having fun while checking tweets and laughing at everything.

Some critics felt you have not done enough to deserve the Next Rated award at the Headies.

I don’t have any words for the critics. I never had words for them. I think that’s why they are there to criticise you; whether or not you do good. So I’ll just let them do what they are supposed to do because that’s the beauty of the industry. If they don’t criticise you, then there is no need to be where you are. So hope they keep doing their work. If they are getting paid, I hope they get an increase in salary. If they are not, I hope they get better places to get salary from.
When you are not making music or performing, what do you do to relax?
Most of the times I play video games. I’m a big fan of FIFA. I sleep, chill-out with my friends and laugh. That’s it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment